So after posting Big Bad Voodoo Daddy’s version of The Jungle Book‘s “I Wanna Be Like You,” I found myself revisiting Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. It came out in 1988 (pauses to feel old), and remains a classic, with wonderful reinterpretations of various Disney classics.
For “I Wanna Be Like You,” we have Los Lobos. Where BBVD did a swing version, Los Lobos gave us something a little more Latin in feel…….
What I Have Already Accomplished Today: With Wrenn, I did a bunch of necessary food shopping, and made a payment on her credit card. In addition, I have touched base with my editor on The Tie-In Project That Cannot Yet Be Named and also signed the contract for same and am waiting for instructions on how to send it back (hard copy in the mail or scanned PDF; the latter is far more common in this day and age, but some publishers prefer the paper version). It’ll probably be a couple months before I can say what this project is, but it’s going to be SO INCREDIBLY COOL…..
What I Still Need To Accomplish Today And Tomorrow): Go through more stuff in Dale’s room, write an essay for a Doctor Who charity essay anthology, revise a proposal, finish revisions on the collaborative thriller, write a piece for Tor.com on Discovery‘s tie-in fiction, revise a short nonfiction project, and write three things for Patreon: my review of Black Panther, my review of the first season of Mindhunter (so I need to finish watching that season), and this month’s vignette.
More Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in honor of Wrenn and I getting to see them last week at BB King’s: Wrenn’s favorite of theirs, “I Wanna Be Like You” from The Jungle Book.
The 21st-century superhero movie renaissance commences! Bryan Singer boils Marvel’s merry mutants down to their essence and provides near-perfect casting on top of that. The great superhero movie rewatch looks at 2000’s X-Men.
Not only does Singer boil down the core conflict, he shows its many aspects in a lot of quick, impressive, quiet ways. The simple reality of Magneto coming of age in a concentration camp tells you a lot of what you need to know about him, and that prologue is impressively understated. Rogue’s longing look at the mother and child on the train touching each other is her entire character in a nutshell, while her query to Wolverine asking if it hurts when he uses his claws and his two-word response likewise tells you everything you need to know about Logan. It takes no time at all to establish the relationships, from the Cyclops-Grey-Wolverine love triangle to the aforementioned Cyclops-Wolverine rivalry (Logan giving Summers the middle claw is one of the greatest moments in superhero moviedom) to the longstanding friendship gone sour between Xavier and Magneto.
In honor of Wrenn and me seeing Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Tuesday, here’s my favorite song of theirs, from their eponymous 1998 CD, “Jumpin’ Jack.” This is a live version from a year ago in San Diego that’s pretty close to what we heard Tuesday night, followed by the original studio version for them that might prefer that…..
There’s been a mess of stuff on my Patreon this month.
- $2/month and up: more than half a dozen new cat pictures
- $5/month and up: TV reviews both new and retro — looking at Lucifer, now in its third season, Lethal Weapon, now in its second, and looking back on the fourth season of M*A*S*H
- $7/month and up: three excerpts from A Furnace Sealed
- $20/month and up: first look at Chapters 14 and 15, the final two chapters of A Furnace Sealed
And between now and the end of the month:
- $1/month and up: my review of Black Panther
- $2/month and up: more cat pictures, obviously…………
- $5/month and up: my review of the first season of Netflix’s Mindhunter
- $7/month and up: with the completion of the first draft of A Furnace Sealed and the imminent release of Baker Street Irregulars: The Game is Afoot, I’m going to switch my works in progress to “Six Red Dragons” in the latter anthology, starting next week
- $10/month and up: a vignette featuring the characters from the Dragon Precinct series
So come and check it out! There’s gonna be a crapton of new content over the next week, and this is the perfect time to jump in…………………….