Over on the Book of Face, Michael A. Ventrella has announced the table of contents for the upcoming alternate-Beatles anthology Across the Universe, which he is editing with Randee Dawn. It’ll be published in December by Fantastic Books, and here’s what’ll be in it!
- Introduction by Nancy Holder
- “Rubber Soul” by Spider Robinson
- “A New Beginning” by Jody Lynn Nye
- “The Perfect Bridge” by Charles Barouch
- “The Hey! Team” by Gordon Linzner
- “Paul is Dead” by Lawrence Watt-Evans
- “Come Together” by Allen Steele
- “The Truth Within” by Sally Wiener Grotta
- “Foursomes” by Ken Schneyer
- “The Fabtastic Four” by David Gerrold
- “All You Need” by Cat Rambo
- “Used to Be” by Keith R.A. DeCandido
- “Game Seven” by Bev Vincent
- “When I’m #64” by Patrick Barb
- “Deal with the Devil” by Carol Gyzander
- “Meet the Beatles” by Pat Cadigan
- “The Walrus Returns” by Gail Z. Martin
- “My Sweet Lord of Light” by Barbara Clough
- “Liverpool Band Battle 1982” by Eric Avedissian
- “Undead in the Material World” by Alan Goldsher
- “The Heretic” by R. Jean Mathieu
- “Cayenne” by Beth Patterson
- “Through a Glass Onion” by Christian Smith
- “A Hard Day’s Night at the Opera” by Gregory Frost
- “Apocalypse Rock” by Matthew Amati
- “Doing Lennon” by Gregory Benford
The lead story is a Spider Robinson tale that originally appeared in The Best of Omni Science Fiction #4 in 1982, and which Spider very generously gave to Mike and Randee to reprint and lead off this collection of weird-ass takes on the Fab Four. The closing tale is also a reprint, Benford’s Nebula Award-nominated story from the April 1975 issue of Analog.
The bits in between are all original, including my story! “Used to Be” actually takes place in the Dragon Precinct universe, though you don’t need to have read them to follow it.
The book will be out in December. Be on the lookout!