I’ve got two crowdfunds coming up, and I seriously hope you’ll support both of them, as they’re both projects very near and dear to my heart.
The first is the next book in my long-running “Precinct” series of fantasy police procedurals. This series launched in 2004 with Dragon Precinct, and while it took seven years for the sequel, Unicorn Precinct, to come out, the series has been going strong since 2011, with half a dozen books so far — five novels and one short-story collection — and eSpec Books is about to launch a Kickstarter for the sixth novel, Phoenix Precinct. The newly created residential area of Albinton, colloquially known as “New Barlin” as it houses many refugees from the neighboring city-state of Barlin, has been the focus of a great deal of violence directed against those refugees. When one is murdered, however, it leads detectives Danthres Tresyllione and Torin ban Wyvald to a web of intrigue and corruption in the Castle Guard — and in the castle itself!
This novel will be crowdfunded alongside two other fantasy novels: Yeti Left Home by Aaron Rosenberg and Espirit de Corpse by Ef Deal.
I’m also co-editing an anthology for the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers called Double Trouble: An Anthology of Two-Fisted Team-Ups. This will feature pairings of classic characters, and will be edited by me and Jonathan Maberry. The full lineup of authors and character pairings include:
- Captain Nemo meets Frankenstein’s monster (Kevin J. Anderson)
- Prospero meets Don Quixote de la Mancha (David Mack)
- Dr. Moreau meets Audrey II (Scott Sigler)
- Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde meet Dracula and John Henry (Derek Tyler Attico)
- Ace Harlem meets the Conjure-Man (Maurice Broaddus)
- Marion of Sherwood meets Annie Oakley (Rigel Ailur)
- Gulliver meets Sacajawea and Ernest Shackleton (Diana Dru Botsford)
- Van Helsing meets Athena and the Medusa (Jennifer Brody)
- Lord Ruthven meets Lydia Bennet (Delilah S. Dawson)
- Bastet and Fenrir meet Quetzalcoatl (Ben H. Rome)
- Dan Fowler meets Stinger Seave (James Reasoner)
- Captain Battle meets Blackout (Dayton Ward)
- Ayesha, a.k.a. She Who Must Be Obeyed, meets Egungun-oya (Keith R.A. DeCandido)
- Flaxman Low meets Mezzanotte (Nancy Holder & Alan Philipson)
- And finally, The Brain that Wouldn’t Die must survive the Night of the Living Dead (Greg Cox)
If we hit our stretch goals, we’ll add three more:
- Jane Trent, Science Sleuth and Fantamah and Fury (Debbie Daughetee)
- Tang Sanzang, a.k.a. Tripitaka, and Emperor Taizong (David A. McIntee)
- Moon Man and The Man in Black (James A. Moore)