For whatever reason, this has been a major short-story year for me. With today’s official release of both Zorro’s Exploits and Tales of Capes and Cowls, I now have six stories published this year, with another five planned between now and the end of 2022.
- “The Carpet’s Tale” in The Fans are Buried Tales
- “The Light Shines in the Darkness” in Phenomenons: Every Human Creature
- “History Lesson for Royal Puppies in the Castle Portrait Gallery” in Ludlow Charlington’s Doghouse
- “What You Can Become Tomorrow” in Three Time Travelers Walk Into…
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in Tales of Capes and Cowls
- “A Lovely View” in Zorro’s Exploits
- “What Do You Want from Me, I’m Old?” in The Four ???? of the Apocalypse
- “The Rat’s Tail” in The Further Adventures of Grignr
- “Ticonderoga Beck and the Stalwart Squad” in Thrilling Adventure Yarns 2022
- “Stop Dragon My Heart Around” in Ragnarok and a Hard Place: More Tales of Cassie Zukav, Weirdness Magnet
- as-yet-untitled Luminosity story in Phenomenons: Season of Darkness
Of the five remaining for this year, I’ve written “The Rat’s Tail,” I’ve outlined “Ticonderoga Beck and the Stalwart Squad,” I have a basic idea of what both “What Do You Want from Me, I’m Old?” and “Stop Dragon My Heart Around” will be, and I only have a vague idea what the Luminosity story will be, though I can say that it will involve several other characters in the Phenomenons milieu including Sarcastic Fringehead, Red Sky, and La Colosa y La Particula.
By contrast, I haven’t had a novel out this year, and may not unless we get Phoenix Precinct or Feat of Clay out by year’s end, but I’m not entirely optimistic about that. Sigh. Though I guarantee that both will be out before the end of 2023…..
(I still will have a graphic novel — Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness–The Beginning — and a short story collection — Ragnarok and a Hard Place — out this year, at least….)